Sunday, April 1, 2018

Top 10 New Year's Resolutions for Computer Users

Top 10 New Year's Resolutions for Computer Users

Image source: http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wp-content/uploads/backup2/time-travellers-log/top-10-new-year-resolutions-for-2013.jpg

2) I will understand the possibility of safeguard questions.

I have millions of bucks expecting me from a prince / corporate entity / long-lost circle of kin member.
I have received the e-mail lottery.
My Facebook / Twitter account has been hacked and I need to click a link to reset a password*
I need to click a link to get proper of entry to my financial institution account internet internet page and re-enter personal guide that their computers lost.

I will replace my running system, internet browsers, antivirus software, plug-ins, and special software necessarily. Although doing so will likely be a hassle, it extraordinarily is still much less of a hassle than handling an epidemic or special malware assault and possibly losing all of my data. It is also much less difficult than having to care for my credit card numbers, social safeguard numbers, financial institution accounts, etc. getting spread around the Internet.

1) I will strive out special internet browsers.

Although 10 resolutions sound like a lot, are these really tougher than your special resolutions? Keeping an running system and software up-to-date entails much much less physical effort than figuring out at the gym. Taking the time to back up data may desire to necessarily require much much less sacrifice than not snatching a piece of cake at the espresso shop. And conversing of sacrifices, which requires more - cutting back to get out of debt, or taking about a seconds to save lots of backups of my data more steadily? Still, sticking to these resolutions may also take some paintings, but doing so can make by using your desktop safer, much less difficult, and a overall lot much less frustrating. So perchance one could use that sledgehammer not on your desktop but to bash a credit card, assisting forestall you from over-spending, the several relevant resolution :)

It's the New Year! A fresh start out, a new origin, time to comb away the mistakes of the past to bring on the new you of the future. At this time many of us make a large number of resolutions, including to stop smoking, lose weight and head to the gym more (ahem), and / or spend much less and save more (double ahem).

If I need to invite individuals for desktop support, I will make it as hassle-free as possible for others to support me, as many doing so are volunteers and only have a constrained quantity of time. I will provide at the least the following guide:

Although the Internet is packed with untold amounts of software, internet browser toolbars, screensavers, etc., I would possibly not install everything I find. Doing so might decelerate my desktop or parts of it, like my internet browser, or make it unstable.

I will make multiple backups for the reason that following can happen and corrupt my data:

I will save my data steadily so as not to be too frustrated when software or the running system crashes (it will happen). Better yet, I will save copies of data as I am editing them in case I need to return to previous edits.

Copyright 2010 Andrew Malek.

10) I will read all dialog and warning packing containers when they appear.

This is a biggie. Just consequently of I think my pictures of a wild keg birthday celebration are only going out to buddies doesn't mean that others are not able to get copies of my photography. And do I want these pictures being seen by:

6) I will think twice earlier than posting pictures on Facebook, Twitter, or special social networking service.

Note that in some situations, accounts have been hacked and legitimate e-mail has been despatched warning users of the hacking. If I am concerned, I will go to the internet page's home internet page immediately in my internet browser and not click a link internal an e-mail message. Then I can contact the internet page administrator to see if it was once really them sending out the warning e-mail.

These pictures may also keep available for hunting nearly forever. What I do in my 20s could have extreme consequences when in my 30s, 40s, and later in life.

For example, If I am prompt that continuing what I am doing will trigger me to delete a file (or all data on my desktop!), I will really take about a seconds to think about if I really desire to do so. Then, and only then, will I click "OK" (or "Cancel", "Cancel", "Cancel").

Although human beings desire to be trusting, I may desire to accomplish that the world does contain scammers and miscreants; thus, I are not able to agree with everything I read relating to electronic mail. Some examples of items I must think twice earlier than believing:

One special noticeable category of New Year's Resolutions is to support others, and to attain this, I'm providing 10 resolutions every desktop user may desire to necessarily make to support lessen the possibilities of eager to bash one's desktop with a sledgehammer (admit you have theory of doing that at the least ONCE).

3) I will not agree with everything I read relating to electronic mail.

Operating system I am strolling (not in basic terms Windows or Mac, but which version, including Windows XP or Windows 7)
Exact error or warning messages that may also appear, plus when and whereby they show up
Software program and version that brought on the error (if ideal)
Have I put in any software recently?
Have I put in any hardware recently?
Web internet page or service causing the error (if ideal)

I am not constrained to the internet browser that came with my desktop. There are special suggestions on the Internet including Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera, and I might desire to feel attempting these and special free personal tastes. Switching to the several browser might make my internet surfing safer, and/or it will introduce new features that make surfing the internet more efficient and fun.

7) I will describe my problems obviously when soliciting for support.

By making these resolutions and sticking to them, one could desire to necessarily experience much less hassle by using your desktop and accessing the Internet, perform fewer mistakes that result in praying you have made brand new backups of your data, and with any luck lessen the possibilities your desktop slows down, has pop-up advertisements randomly appear, or experiences special signs of adware and malware attacks.

(Be bound to read resolution #5, as a malware assault may also trigger dialog packing containers or warnings to randomly appear that aren't what they appear!)

4) I would possibly not install everything I see and then wonder why my desktop is strolling slow.

(Uber-geeks rely on some thing that automatically manages this often called version control software ; one could desire to not may desire to go this a methods; in basic terms save copies of your unimaginable paintings steadily.)

8) I will make backups of my data more than once a 12 months.

Many software publications, like the Microsoft Office suite, have Autosave features that make backups of what I am doing every few mins in case some thing unthinkable happens. However, counting on Autosave is a unstable game, as what if it doesn't paintings or still misses brand new changes to a spreadsheet, document, e-mail, etc.?

CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMS, and special detachable media have a constrained shelf life or can get broken
Hard drive / flash drive failure
Ignoring dialog box warning that all data are to be deleted
Operating system failure
Power surge
Software failure
Spyware or virus infestation

Extended circle of kin
Law enforcement
Lawyers of opposing birthday celebration in a lawsuit
Potential venture partners or clients
Potential job interviewers
School admissions officers

9) I will save my data steadily.

Although safeguard questions are used by internet websites to support us re-get hold of or reset forgotten passwords, these are also an opening for hackers to money in get proper of entry to to our account. And it has been done earlier than, even to vice-presidential candidates. If I have a system to securely retailer passwords (with any luck encrypted), I will deal with safeguard query answers comparable to passwords and not style personal guide that will likely be easily guessed or discovered out over the Internet.

5) I will forestall my software and running system up-to-date.

Student Procrastination Laziness or Anxiety

Image source: http://bridgenews.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/procrastination.gif Student Procrastination Laziness or Anxiety Procrastinat...